Fall Commencement 2018 Guest Information
Cal Poly parents, supporters, family and friends are invited to sign up to receive Fall Commencement 2018 emails to stay in the loop about commencement ceremonies, regalia, parking, tickets and more. Emails will be distributed throughout fall quarter.
In addition to signing up to receive emails, guests are encouraged to download the Cal Poly Now Commencement app to receive important commencement-related information.
Ceremony and Event Information
Learn about the many commencement-related events taking place throughout fall quarter.
- Commencement Ceremonies (December 15, 2018)
- Commencement Kickoff (November 1, 2018)
- Info Booths (November 8 & 15, 2018)
Parking permits are not required during commencement weekend. Please note that campus parking will be highly impacted throughout the weekend. Please consider using alternative transportation such as SLO Transit, Uber, Lyft and carpooling.
Accessible parking for guests with mobility impairments will be available in the Grand Avenue Parking Structure and Parking Structure 131. All vehicles must have a valid accessible parking placecard or license plate in order to park in accessible spaces.
Accessible shuttles are provided for guests with mobility impairments and one companion. Shuttles will run continuously throughout the day, stopping at the Performing Arts Center and Recreation Center.
Take exit 204 from US-101 S
Turn right onto Buena Vista Ave
Turn left onto Loomis St
- Turn right onto Grand Ave
- Continue straight to stay on Grand Ave
- Follow directional signage to commencement parking lots
Take exit Take exit 203D US-101 N
Turn left onto Grand Ave
Continue straight to stay on Grand Ave
Follow directional signage to commencement parking lots
General seating is located throughout the main gym.
Accessible seating is located throughout the main gym and is available on first-come basis for guests with mobility impairments and one companion. If you need assistance, please ask the nearest usher.
Drinking fountains are located in the Recreation Center’s main floor hallway.
Medical personnel are located in Recreation Center room 109. If you need assistance, please ask the nearest usher.
Gift and regalia vendors are located outside of the Recreation Center.
Restrooms are located off of the Recreation Center’s main floor hallway.
A quiet, private room, located in University Union room 219, is available if any guests or graduates feel overwhelmed or overstimulated. The room is ADA accessible and features headphones and fidget items.
- Doors open one hour before each ceremony.
- All bags will be checked upon entry.
- Graduate processional into the main gym begins 20 minutes before each ceremony.
- The ceremony will last approximately 90 minutes.
- After the ceremony, designate a meeting place with your graduate outside of the Recreation Center.
- Please dress comfortably. There may be lengthy walks on grass, hills and uneven pavement.
- Please leave pets at home. Only service animals are permitted on campus.
- Encourage your graduate to Celebrate Responsibly.
- Alcohol, fireworks, air horns, weapons and glass bottles are prohibited. Those found in possession of such items will be removed from the ceremony.
- Large bags and coolers are not allowed in the Recreation Center.
- Please mindful of those sitting around you and do not obstruct their views when taking photographs or by holding large signs, balloons, umbrellas, etc.
- Download the Cal Poly Now Commencement app to stay connected and informed throughout the weekend.
- Follow Cal Poly Commencement on Instagram and Facebook.
Tickets are required for all guests attending the commencement ceremonies. Learn more.
Regalia and Accessories
Caps, gowns, tassels, sashes, announcements and diploma frames are available to purchase both online and in the University Store. Learn more.
It may seem like only yesterday that your student moved into their residence hall. Yet, in the blink of an eye, they are preparing for graduation and making strides to create a better world. You and your graduating senior are now part of Cal Poly’s legacy and can ensure its longevity by supporting Cal Poly’s mission.
The Senior Gift campaign is a fundraising effort led by current Cal Poly seniors benefiting the health, happiness and wellbeing of Cal Poly students. In the true spirit of students helping students, this year’s senior class gift will support the Cal Poly Cares program, which provides much-needed support to deserving students who are unable to afford core needs such as food, medicine and books that are critical to their ongoing success. Your support will continue to open doors for future lives to be transformed just as your students has been.