Fall Commencement 2019 Graduate Information
Flowers and Gifts
All online flower and gift orders will be available for on-campus pick up on Dec. 14. To retrieve your order, please stop by the vendor booth located outside of the Recreation Center before your ceremony begins.
View and purchase your official commencement photos. Prices vary by order.
Looking for photos from ceremonies prior to June 2019? Please visit the Ultime Exposures website.
Please report to your college assembly site in full regalia (including hoods for master's degree candidates) one hour before your ceremony start time to prepare for your graduate processional into the Recreation Center main gym and fill out your name card. The assembly site for each ceremony is behind the main gym on the west side of the Recreation Center (closest to the Health Center).
Faculty will lead graduates in a grand processional into the main gym from the assembly site 20 minutes before your ceremony start time.
- A Clear Bag Policy will be in effect at the Recreation Center in order to enhance security and efficiency entering the commencement ceremonies. Learn more.
- Learn about parking, accessibility and shuttle services.
- Each ceremony will last approximately 90 minutes.
- After the ceremony, designate a meeting place with your family and friends outside of the Recreation Center.
- Please dress comfortably. There may be lengthy walks on grass, hills and uneven pavement.
- Please leave pets at home. Only service animals are permitted on campus.
- Alcohol, fireworks, air horns, weapons and glass bottles are prohibited. Those found in possession of such items will be removed from the ceremony.
- Please mindful of those sitting around you and do not obstruct their views when taking photographs or by holding large signs, balloons, umbrellas, etc.
During fall quarter, eligible graduates will receive an email from the Cal Poly Ticket Office (email@example.com) with a link to claim up to 10 commencement ceremony tickets. Once claimed, tickets will be emailed in PDF form.
- Students are responsible for distributing tickets to guests prior to their ceremony.
- Tickets are required for all guests.
- Tickets are not required for children under the age of three. Due to seating limitations, we ask that all young children sit on the laps of parents or family members.
- Tickets are not required for students participating in commencement ceremonies.
Please note that each ticket is unique and will be scanned upon entry. Duplicating tickets will result in guests being turned away so please be sure to print individual tickets, not several copies of the same ticket.
The additional ticket request form is now closed. Please contact the Commencement Office if you have any questions.
Download the Cal Poly Now Commencement app to receive important commencement-related information.
Be sure to complete these steps before commencement!
- Forward your commencement tickets to your guests.
- Update your Cal Poly Portal with the following information:
- Mailing address: where you would like your diploma sent.
- Name: how you would like it to appear on your diploma.
- Email: forward your Cal Poly email to a personal account.
- Complete the Graduate Status Report.
- Connect with your alumni network through Cal Poly Alumni.
Diplomas and Certificates
Learn about diploma information by visiting the Office of the Registrar's Graduation Process page.
A complimentary certificate will be given to each student who participates in a commencement ceremony. For students who misplace their certificate or would like an additional one, please contact the Commencement Office.
Graduates and guests will receive a commemorative commencement program at each ceremony. This program is not an official list of graduates or honors recipients. While the Commencement Office does its best to list all eligible graduates in the program, please note that there is no guarantee that every name will be included.
The tassel color each graduate wears represents the discipline in which they studied. Bachelor's candidates wear tassels on the right side of the mortarboard and Master's candidates wear tassels on the left side.
College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences
All degrees | Maize
College of Architecture and Environmental Design
Architecture | Blue Violet
Architectural Engineering | Orange
All other degrees | Brown
Orfalea College of Business
Industrial Technology | Sapphire Blue
All other degrees | Drab
College of Engineering
All degrees | Orange
College of Liberal Arts
All degrees | White
College of Science and Mathematics
Kinesiology | Sage Green
All other degrees | Golden Yellow
All degrees | White
The velvet border on a master's candidate's hood represents the subject in which the degree is earned, while the lining and chevron colors represent the university granting the degree. Cal Poly's colors are represented with green lining and gold chevrons.
Effective Fall 2015, a mandatory commencement fee will be automatically charged to all eligible graduates and all student who have achieved 75% degree completion. The fee will be charged to the student's account. The commencement fee covers the cost of all commencement-related services, resources, events, staffing and all programmatic elements of the commencement experience from beginning to end. For further details, please visit the Student Accounts website.